Monday 4 April 2016

Fertilization

So... time for the fertilization update. I got the call this morning from Nurse Leslie (who's the bomb by the way) and she started by reminding me that we retrieved 20 eggs... probably because some women are so loopy afterwards that they don't remember haha.


So they split the eggs evenly - 10 to do ICSI with and 10 to fertilize naturally.
Of the 10 they did ICSI with, once washed, 7 were mature, and all 7 fertilized.
Of the 10 they naturally fertilized, ALL 10 were mature, and 9 fertilized.

So we have 16 embryos!!!
HuuWHAT!?!?!!?

To put this in perspective, in the past we had 7 mature eggs, and 4 fertilized. I'm over the moon at the difference. Not sure if its my health, the supplements, or acupuncture that is to thank, but my guess it's a combination of all of the above.

Transfer has been scheduled for Friday and we are expecting an update about our 16 embryos on Wednesday. So now Homme InFertile and I need to decide in the meantime if we transfer 1 or 2... and this won't be an easy decision to say the least. I swear I'd be better off flipping a coin.

Basically in the past we've transferred 2 fresh day 3 embryos (bfn) and then 2 frozen day 5 embryos (bfn) so I'm scared to revert down to only transferring 1. That being said, this cycle has been so different than the past, and we'd like to believe it will work out, so do we really want any additional risks associated with carrying and delivering twins? We'd love to have twins, sure, but I worry so much about losing one or both, or them being pre-term and living in the nicu, or having massive delivery complications... just seems scary. But, at the same time women have twins without any issues, and some women carrying only one child end up with all the complications so it really feels like a crap-shoot.

I know I must sound like I'm spinning my wheels... I AM! I have no friggin' clue what to do. For now our plan is to wait and see how the embryos develop and if we have one embryo that is out of this world on Friday, maybe just transfer that one. But on the flip side, I'm tempted to transfer one natural and one icsi and just see what happens. Ugh. Wish there was a crystal ball to tell me what to do!!!


3 comments:

  1. 16 fertilized!!!! AMAZING!!! Are you doing PGS on those that you are not transferring fresh? So happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty useful information on fertilization and infertility. One of my friends was suffering from infertility problem and got to know about an acupuncture in Mississauga provider offering treatment. She is taking her treatment from there now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Informative Content!
    Ideally, a woman should have her eggs frozen when they are at their best. The ASRM identifies the 20’s as the best reproductive years for women. “Fertility gradually declines in the 30’s, particularly after age 35.”
    Fertility preservation treatments include the freezing of eggs, sperm and embryos to enable a person or a couple to have a child later in life.

    ReplyDelete